CALL BEFORE YOU DIG!!!
Building a deck? Planting a tree? Installing a mailbox? 811 is the number you should call before you begin any digging project. A new, federally-mandated national “Call Before You Dig” number, 811 was created to protect you from unintentionally hitting underground utility lines while working on digging projects.
EVERY digging job requires a call—even small projects like planting trees or shrubs. If you hit an underground utility line while digging, you can harm yourself or those around you, disrupt service to an entire neighborhood and potentially be responsible for fines and repair costs.
Smart digging means calling 811 before each job. Whether you are a homeowner or a professional excavator, one call to 811 gets your underground utility lines marked for FREE!!
- Survey and Mark: Survey your proposed excavation site. Make a list of affected utilities at your job site,. Mark the site on paved surfaces with white spray chalk, water base UV paint or equivalent. Use flags, stakes, or whiskers etc. on unpaved surfaces. Homeowners can use flour.
- Call Before You Dig: Call USA North two working days to 14 calendar days prior to digging. Call 800-227-2600 or 811 from a landline phone.
- Wait The Required Time: California and Nevada allows USA North members to examine their underground facility records prior to responding to you.
- Respect the Marks: Preserve facility marks for the duration of the job.
- Dig With Care: Hand excavate within 24” of the outside diameter of the utility. Notify Trinity PUD of any contact, scrape, dent, nick, or damage to our facilities.
PLEASE…don’t wait until the last minute. No matter if your excavation job is large or small, do the safe thing. Call USA North 2 working days to 14 calendar days before you dig. Your location request number (USA North ticket) is good for 28 calendar days in California and Nevada. Failure to call USA North regarding your project can result in a fine and/or the cost of any damages.